Hello there! I think the weather in Santa Fe has officially decided to stay in Spring mode. No more random, crazy snow showers for us (fingers crossed). I spent the weekend mostly inside due to a sudden urge to organize e v e r y t h i n g. I appreciate those moments when they happen because it does feel nice to experience the space around you in all it’s tidy and organized glory. However, I wish I was a little more organized on the regular….oh well.
Most of my weekend activities, weather it’s cleaning, drawing, baking or meal prepping, always include a podcast. Heck, I can’t (and refuse to) go one day without listening to at least one podcast. It’s gotten so ingrained into my normal routine, I think I have more podcasts episodes downloaded on my phone than music. What can I say…I just really like listening to interesting and insightful conversations from people way different and way more educated than me.
I wanted to share a few of my favorite podcasts for today’s 5 things post.
- Don’t Keep Your Day Job – Admittedly, I’ve only listened to one episode of this podcast but man did that episode completely inspire me. If you’re a creative person and struggling with following your passion in fear of leaving a more stable job *cough* me *cough* then you need to listen to this podcast. Trust me. I learned so much just from the first episode that I’ve been trying to change my habits to live a more creative life. Habit changing is hard but the results can be so rewarding. Listen here.
- Pod Save America – Whether or not you follow the news closely, this podcast is really helpful for breaking down current political news in approachable and sometime humorous way. The guys behind the podcast are former speechwriters and spokesmen for President Obama. They obviously know A LOT and their experience inside the White House really informs how they can breakdown all the idiocy we’re experiencing with this current administration. This is one of the podcast I listen to right when it pops up in my feed. Listen here.
- The Moth – This podcast is actually a recording of a live story event. I think their tagline explains it so perfectly–true stories told live. The storytellers featured on these episodes are often surprising, diverse, funny and amazing. I often find myself crying after listening to an episode because these stories are just too good. People are fascinating. Listen here.
- MuggleCast – Attention all my Harry Potter nerds out there…I know there are a few of you. Hi, hello. This podcast is for you! I love this podcast because it’s so rare for me to really nerd out with someone about something I love so much. This podcast helps me keep up to date with all Harry Potter related news (and Fantastic Beasts) as well as listen to great in-depth discussions about the books that Muggles just wouldn’t appreciate. Listen here.
- Note to Self – A recent addition to my listening collection but definitely a thought-provoking one. The best description of this podcast comes from their website, “Join host Manoush Zomorodi for your weekly reminder to question everything. Is your phone watching you? Can wexting make you smarter? Are your kids real? These and other essential quandaries for anyone trying to preserve their humanity in the digital age.” Y E S. While most of us have our phones at our sides or in our pockets at all times, it’s good to listen to this podcast as a reminder to step away for a bit. But not only that, I’ve learn how to use technology more effectively and actually understand it a little better. Listen here.
These are just a few of my current favorites. I could honestly go on forever. If you have any podcast recommendation, please leave them in the comments. I’d love to check them out!