Summer doesn’t technically begin until tomorrow but who are we kidding, it’s felt like summer for a while now…probably has something to do with the heat.
I’ve been feeling very nostalgic for carefree summer days lately. Can summer break carry on into adulthood? I miss long afternoons of reading, trips to the pool and eating popsicles for practically every meal.
Summer felt like a time when you could reinvent yourself and try new things. My introverted self loved summers because it meant time to do the things I really wanted to do. No obligations, no to-do lists– just time to dive into new projects, explore new places and plenty of time to indulge in your imagination.
I miss the fullness and laziness of those days.
Summers are different as an adult. They feel less monumental, less glorious. But that doesn’t mean they should totally suck. I think this summer I am going to make an effort to bring back that fullness of days I miss so much. I will have to figure out how that will work for me as a full-time working adult but I think a great first step is to give myself time to be present and truly enjoy the things that make me happy.
Today’s 5 things post is inspired by that intention to soak in the small pleasures of life.
- Pantone Studio App – I have an untitled document always open on my computer where I collect and create color palettes. This app has been fun to play around with because you can use photos on your phone to create your own palettes. I know there are probably a million other apps out there that do the same thing but what’s cool about Pantone Studio App is that the color palettes are created with Pantone colors. And this is something my nerdy Graphic Designer brain appreciates very much.
- Raspberry Lemon Yogurt Popsicles – I mentioned eating popsicles all summer long as a kid…I think I’m going to have to try this recipe from Shutterbean to feed that inner child.
- Summer Dresses – Summer dresses are saving me! My house doesn’t have air conditioning and sometimes the office I work in gets so cold. I found a few dresses that are perfect for dealing with both of those issues. Here are a few I think are really cute: this one, this one and this one.
- Rookie Podcast interview with Lorde – I’ve had Lorde’s latest album on repeat all weekend long. Recently, I listened to two episodes of the Rookie Podcast featuring a conversation with Ella aka Lorde about her new album but also her creative process and just some thoughts she has about introversion and growing up. I think I could totally be friends with her.
- Finally I will leave you with a quote that almost perfectly sums up my feelings at the moment. It’s from the author Beau Taplin:
I’m beginning to realize that real happiness isn’t something large and looming on the horizon ahead but something small, numerous, and already here. A decent breakfast. The warm sunset. The smile of someone you love. Your little everyday joys all lined up in a row.
Wishing you all a great week!