If you’re like me, you try and keep up with the news on a daily basis. Lately, every week has held heaviness after heaviness. There is more heartbreak, more uncertainty. For a person (like me) who tends to feel things quite deeply, it’s incredibly easy to feel helpless.
I’m sure you are aware of the mass shooting that occurred yesterday in Las Vegas, NV. My heart breaks for the victims and their families. My heart breaks to hear of such senseless violence. And while I am hoping to send thoughts and love their way, it doesn’t feel like enough. Whenever any tragedy is reported on the news, thoughts and prayers just don’t feel like enough to me anymore. I’m growing tired of feeling small and feeling like I’m just one person who can’t make a difference. So because of those feelings, I wanted to use my 5 things post as a way to feel less helpless.
Today I’m sharing 5 action steps that are equally simple and important.
- If you are a person who feels strongly about gun control and believes gun control laws should be stricter, please contact your Representatives. I know what you may be thinking. This is scary. This makes me anxious. I don’t know what to say. I don’t feel qualified to share my opinion. Trust me, I’ve felt alllll those things. And while I’m terrified to make these calls, I am truly beginning to understand how important it is for my voice to be heard. This article provides tips and resources for contacting your Representatives. Another awesome tool is Resist Bot. It’s super easy to use and helps you connect and deliver messages your State’s Representatives. All you have to do is text RESIST to 50409 and Resist Bot helps you draft a fax that will be sent to the office of the officials you choose. This is a great option if a phone call is really going to cause you anxiety. I used Resist Bot today to urge my Representatives to support gun control reform and fight for stricter laws that can prevent further tragedies.
- Another way you can help in the aftermath of the Las Vegas shooting is to donate to the victims’ families. You can find more information on how to do so here.
- We also can’t forget about Puerto Rico and the millions of American citizens who are trying to survive and rebuild after the devastation of not one but two major hurricanes. You can donate to relief efforts through Global Giving.
- If donating money is not a possibility for you, you can share these links or other links through your social media platforms. Sharing is important too.
- SHARE LOVE. SPREAD KINDNESS. It’s really easy to say and sounds so cliche but when hasn’t this been important? We are all just human and we’re all just trying to do our best. We have voices and we can use them to lift people up and change our surroundings.
Thanks for letting me use this post to share some of the muddled thoughts floating around in my head. I hope I didn’t sound too preachy or condescending. I’m just trying to work within the feelings I have and I wanted to share the little information I know. I hope I can empower even just once person into believing that our voices and thoughts and feelings matter. Because they do. I have to believe they do.
Share a little bit of extra love today would ya?